Pages

Friday, October 1, 2010

Happy talk

I recently purchased a small cache of musical soundtracks. Yeah.. the things you  do when you are interested in someone…

As a lover of music, it is also an opportunity for me to explore an area I am not that familiar with. Anyway.. so far only one soundtrack out of five has arrived- ‘South Pacific’.  It is fun, romantic, sentimental and I realize how many of the tunes I am already familiar with. Geez.. is this some Gay genetic memory????

Are show tunes, Barbara Streisand songs and a brilliant sense of style all passed on through the supposed  ‘gay gene’ ? I have no idea, perhaps the answer is simply that these shows were really popular and part of mainstream culture for so long, that as a child growing up… I heard them many a time…  How many times as a young gay boy did I sing ‘I’m gonna wash that man out of my hair’ whist simulating washing my hair and doing a little dance?  errr… a few times!

South Pacific plays in the other room as I type up these thoughts and the tune ‘happy talk’ rings out across the house.. the lyrics resonate and make me smile:

You got to have a dream,
If you don't have a dream,
How you gonna have a dream come true?


No comments:

Post a Comment