Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

New records- March 2011

I recently I have come across some new LP's and am in vinyl heaven....Let me share them with you:

Wire- “Chairs Missing”.


I found a new sealed heavily discounted copy of this 1978 Classic Lp !!! I guess the kids are too busy saving up for the new Lady Gaga release…
This has to be one of the coolest tunes ever-

‘I am the Fly’

Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy- “The letting go”.


Such a sublime and simple record, the strings really compliment his mood. Recorded in Iceland with Valgeir Sigurðsson, who is probably more well known for his engineering and programming work on Bjork’s LP’s. Here both Valgeir and Iceland itself, seem to have brought out the best in Americana and the bonnie prince.

‘Cursed love’. In this clip, Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy (Will Oldham), Plays the ‘bird like’ character.


Sonic Youth- ‘Hits are for Squares’.


I came across this LP which was released few years ago and picked it up because, well.. though I have the‘Goo’ LP on vinyl.. but I don’t have the awesome tracks; 100%, Bull in the Heather, Superstar and Teenage riot on Vinyl.. well that is, I didn’t until now!!   It would have been better if the album also included; Diamond Sea, Sunday, Drunken Butterfly and Free City Rhymes on it, but alas..
Anyway, here is their splendid cover of the Carpenters tune ‘Superstar’.




Next is Simon and Garfunkel. I came across two of their Lp’s in great condition at a second hand store near my work, whilst popping out to get a take away coffee.

‘Sounds of Silence’ and ‘Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme’.

 
Nothing really needs to be said about these brilliant LP’s.

From ‘Sounds of Silence’- Leaves that are green.


From ‘Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme’- The Dangling Conversation.

Finally, The Beastie Boys – ‘Ill' Communication’.


If you think of them as just 3 white guys from New York who rap.. think again, they can play instruments and can create music that ranges from Punk to jazz/ funk tinged sounds. Here is what I mean:

Transitions:

and .. how can I resist a chance to share the adrenaline charged tune ‘Sabotage’ – the best DIY/rock-punk/white rap tune NYC has to offer! And one of the coolest clips of all time!!.

No comments:

Post a Comment