Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Holiday in Hobart July 2011 Part 2


Holiday in Hobart July 2011

Pt 2: Botanical Gardens, the Tasman Bridge and MONA.

During my time in Hobart I decided to mostly use public transport to get about (whilst my mate was away). Whilst walking about the cold winter streets I listened to some fun upbeat tunes. I came across a couple of cd’s that I had been curious about buying but had never gotten around to doing so. These really made the walking effortless and I am sure I had a permanent smile on my face!: Firstly, off Phoenix’s LP “Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix”, here is ‘1901’ (Live on Letterman) from 2009:



And from Two Door Cinema Club’s LP ‘Tourist History, here is the track ‘Undercover Martyn’: (great clip… and how young do these kids look???)


An LP I brought across from home was Caribou’s album ’Swim’. This one also really complimented the cold weather. I just couldn’t stop listening to it, especially whilst on the bus! Well, I did stop listening when I visited the Royal Tasmania Botanic Gardens. The gardens were so peaceful and beautiful that no music was needed!

Pete's patch!!! say no more!!!

Other images from the Gardens:






Off Caribou’s LP ‘Swim’, this is the track ‘Sun’. This is what I listened to a lot of on public transport:



One objective I had on this trip was to try and take a nice picture of the Tasman bridge with my little automatic camera. There is something about the Tasman Bridge that I like.


This first one... Ok, yes they are cows... This Picture was taken literally a minute or two by car into the centre of the city! Gotta love that!


My mate Rod took me to this place on the Eastern Shore to try and get a good picture of the bridge. This is the spot where a temporary floating bridge was constructed weeks after the 1975 Tasman Bridge accident. Rod  also suggested trying to capture Mount Wellington in the background.. I mean who is taking the pics here??? Get your own camera!:


second attempt:





From up on Rosny Hill:




Mona. Many have heard about it and I have to say that this museum of old and new art is world class!. I have been fortunate to see the Tate Modern in London, as well as New York's museum of modern art (MOMA) and Tasmania’s MONA is up there with them. Not in terms of scale, but in quality!

Heading up past the vineyard.


The entrance, which took me forever to find:

Care for a rest before heading in?:

Inside and underground:



The room with the Sarcophagus. Only two people at a time are allowed in. The steps rise out of still water. It is a very cool room!

Madonna's greatest hits karaoke installation wall.... Cooler than it sounds!

Chinese coins left buried in a box and fusing together over time:

Part of a very long wall of plaster-cast vagina's.

Cool water installation and ummm...how far down are we?


I did say that we were underground! The tunnel to the library:

Finally:

It didn't rain every day I was there. On Rosny Hill looking out at a rainbow:


Mount Wellington, with the wind gusting snow off the top.

Different day and nicer weather, looking out across over Salamanca Square. Mount Wellington sits patiently in the background.


Ahh, Hobart, I love you and can't wait to return!

No comments:

Post a Comment