Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue - August 2011

Something old.

From the 1994 LP 'Bakesale' (on the then cooler than cool 'Subpop' label), here is Sebadoh and "Skull"... I am singing along even now, 'and I don't know who you are, But I know what I would like you to be".
Sebadoh- 'Skull'


Going back further, well four years earlier, Ride released their debut lp called 'Nowhere'. I fell in love with the shoegazing jangly guitars and dream like vocals. It made me want to pick up the guitar and make music, in particular the track 'Vapour Trail'. "First you look so strong, then you fade away...' ahhhh....to be 18 again (err maybe not, acne, insecurity and wondering what I wanted to do with my life, whilst trying to discover who I was, then again, how different is that to now???)

Ride- 'Vapour Trail'. 





Something new.

This track seems to be everywhere at the minute. Triple J have made his New Lp, Album of the week!!!! Gotye has worked his butt off for years now (like many local musos) so I wish him all the best and hope this all translates into some cash for him!
Goyte featuring Kimbra- 'Somebody I used to know'.



Currently considered cool by the 'kids' is Swedish band Little Dragon (with their Japanese-Swedish front woman Yukimi Nagano). They have released a new LP called 'Ritual Union'. Here is the title track live and amazing! Go Synths Go!!!!
'Little Dragon- 'Ritual Union'



Something borrowed.

Maxence Cyrin and an interesting version of Beyonce's 'Crazy in love'. The fan made clip uses (or borrows) scenes from the visually sumptuous 1961 French Film L'Année dernière à Marienbad.
Maxence Cyrin - 'Crazy in love'




Something blue.

From their 1995 Lp 'Tomorrow the green grass',here are the Jayhawks and the gorgeous tune 'Blue'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment