Pages

Friday, December 21, 2012

It's christmas time again.


I was going to start this blog with an unseasonal Bah! Humbug! But I won't. I do fear that I am but half a moment away from becoming that cranky old man in the cardigan, waving his walking stick menacingly and raving on about disrespect and how things were so much better in 'my day'. OK, maybe I'm not QUITE THAT bad, YET. I do really enjoy buying gifts for loved ones and this is the season to indulge. While things have been a little tight financially this year, that doesn't stop me from being able to share some lovely christmas things with you all:

Something kind of cruel but, some of it is so very, very funny! Parents intentionally giving their children crap presents and filming the reactions!

Jimmy Kimmel: I gave my kids a terrible present.


Part 2:



Something musical and Christmasy that I never get sick of:

The Pogues featuring Kirsty MacColl- 'Fairytale of New York'




Something to remind us of others that need our help:

A starved girl.

"There are about one billion people suffering from starvation in the world today. One in seven people doesn’t have enough nutritious food to eat and their bodies are literally feeding on themselves.
Here’s a basic overview of what happens when someone doesn’t have enough food. First, their bodies will use up energy stores in their muscles and fat. Once that’s depleted the body will feed on internal organs. Eventually the person will die from diseases because of their weakened body, or the organ failure from the starvation itself.
There are many horrible ways to die, but I can’t imagine many worse than having your body feed on itself.
I also can’t imagine what it must be like to watch your child succumb to starvation and be powerless to help them."

The above picture and quote was from http://saveonetoday.ca/. I do not know enough about this organisation to endorse them personally, but I do support any message that reminds us all of the plight of the less fortunate.


Lastly, something to fill our hearts and souls:

Ode to Joy- flash mob style:


Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and what ever your religious beliefs, may you be safe, warm, fed and content this festive season and beyond. May we all appreciate what we have and be thoughtful enough to share what we can with those that are less fortunate.

And for those that believe in 'Festivus', let the airing of  grievances begin!

warm wishes all round,
matthew schiavello.

4 comments:

  1. some of the kids' reactions are hilarious,
    and some are seriously...erh...interesting...

    looking forward to more of your blog posts in the new year!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TBB. After watching those clips myself, I do feel that if someone doesn't give me a 'Mr Potato head' for christmas then I am seriously missing out!

      Delete
  2. thank you for a lovely post. it has Kirsty MacColl whom i just love and haven't seen for ages, an ode to joy which i also love. did you have that on your blog before or it may have been somewhere else, i can't remember, it has a reminder to be grateful for life's simple things that we take for granted, you wished me happy Hanukkah, and best of all happy festivus. i like the little girl who was happy with her crappy present. way to go. i would like to wish you a wonderful Christmas season Matthew and a very happy, healthy and prosperous new year. i hope it is very good to you and your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you yevisha. Thansk for reading and commenting on my blog all year as well. I love knwoing that someone else is enjoying this stuff.

      I just stumbled across the ode to joy clip and thought it was relevant to share. Every time i listen to Kirsty macColl I am reminded how tragic her death was :-(

      In those clips of children with crap gifts, I love that little boy who just LOVES his potato!
      Now, I better dahs it is time for Festivus' 'feats of strength'!

      Delete