Pages

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Music

It has been a while since I posted new music. I haven't been listening to too much new stuff of late, but have re-acquainted myself with some older music. Here is a small selection of tunes, one or two I may have shared on here a long while back, but they are worth a listen or second listen!

Joanna Newsom has a new LP out- Divers. Her voice can really divide people (it does sounds a little different on this Lp (possibly due to age or she may be singing differently due to nodule issues a few years back?)), but I personally really love her work. She also plays the harp and piano. It has been 5 years since her last Lp (the triple Lp) 'Have one on me'.

Joanna Newsom- 'Divers'



Nadia Reid. This New Zealand songstress was brought to my attention by my mate Jody Galvin (who is often playing abut town, so keep an eye on her facebook page for info).
Anyway I quickly purchased Nadia's Lp 'Listen To Formation, Look For The Signs' and am enjoying it. This is a single from it.

Nadia Reid- 'Call the day':


Unless you are living under a rock, you would know that Adele has released a new track off her forthcoming LP '25'.  I watched the clip, around 14-15 hours after it was released and it had already gained over 7 million views on you tube! Over 500,000 people gave the track a 'thumbs up' and just over 5,000 didn't like it. I wonder if it meant the other 6.5 million were all apathetic listeners? I think I need to give it a couple more listens to decide were I sit. I checked this a day later and the the track had over 50 Million views. I checked it again around a fortnight later and it had just under 226 Million views!  (yes, 226 million!). Now, around a month after release, the track has had almost 485 Million Views! Yep, wow!  As for the song, I think I am still undecided on how I feel.

Adele- 'Hello'



As part of cassette day (yep, you read right), I finally bought Courtney Barnett's Lp "Sometimes I sit and think and sometimes i just sit' I bought it on cassette, I think 300 copies were made. Here is as song from it called 'Depreston'. This has really grown on me and I really like it. This video is live from the great "A take-away show' series.

Courtney Barnett - 'Depreston' (live):




Jessica Pratt. I stumbled across this next song and can't stop listening to it! Her voice is so intriguing and the lyrics have some great moments. The clip is a fan made one.

Jessica Pratt- 'Back, baby':



Other songs I seem to be connecting with emotionally at the moment:

I have been re-listening to Laura Marling's gorgeous Lp 'Once I was an eagle'. This track is so captivating.

Laura Marling- 'Love be brave'



I have always loved this next song and never realised till recently that the great Jimmy Webb wrote it!
Nina Simone is amazing full stop!
Nina Simone - 'Do what you gotta do'



There are some Modest Mouse songs that I really really like and then there are the rest which I want to like... This track is one I really like and is off the Lp with one of the best titles ever (and has great cover artwork)-  'Good news for people who love bad news'.

Modest Mouse- 'Ocean breathes salty'



It is no secret that I love Neko Case. This next track is just so damn good. I play it on repeat. It is from the LP 'The worse things get, the harder I fight, the harder I fight, the more I love you'

Neko Case- 'Calling cards'



Many years ago, I stumbled across Laura Veirs and really loved her voice.  I kind of forgot about her after a time and recently found her again This track is off the 2005 lp 'Year of Meteors'

Laura Veirs - 'Secret someones'?






All copyright belongs to the respective artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment