Recently MOJO magazine listed the 50 greatest Smiths songs. While such lists are subjective and can lead to many a disagreement, I thought it a good time to share the list and some of the music. When I first learned to play guitar, a Smiths fan at my school taught me to play 'please, please, please let me get what I want'. He also suggested that if I wanted to start with any Smiths Lp, the best one to start with was the compilation- 'Hatful of Hollow'. I since realised how right he was. It is my favorite of their albums, compiling non album singles, b-sides and live tracks.
The Smiths formed in Manchester in 1982 and ended in 1987. They released four studio albums;The Smiths, Meat is murder, The Queen is dead, and Strangeways here we come. A live album 'Rank', a slew of singles (including many non-album singles), and a handful of compilation albums.
Here is Mojo's list from 50-21
50. Barbarism Begins At Home
48. Cemetry Gates
47. Meat is Murder
46. Is It Really So Strange?
45. Nowhere Fast
44. Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before
43. Suffer Little Children
42. You've Got Everything Now
41. I Want The One I Can't Have
40. This Night Has Opened My Eyes
39. Pretty Girls Make Graves
38. These Things Take Time
37. I Started Something I Couldn't Finish
36. Rubber Ring
34. Shakespeare's Sister
33. Rusholme Ruffians
31. What Difference Does It Make?
30. Half A Person
29. Well I Wonder
28. Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others
27. Handsome Devil
26. I Won't Share You
25. Accept Yourself
24. Death Of A Disco Dancer
23. A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours
21. That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore